- a set of dpns
- a circular needle (optional)
- yarn that must be knitted with bigger needles than the one you choose to knit very tightly
- a scrap of contrasting yarn to mark the mouth
- stitch markers (link in French)
- safety pins or stitch holder
- tapestry needle
- Le choixpeau sous toutes ses faces
- De face, de profil le côté avec et celui sans la pièce et de dos.
The hat is knitted in the round. The stitches are on three needles.
Cast on 3 stitches.
I knitted it with 4 dpns then a circular. I began with 3 stitches, 1 row, an increase in every stitch of the row, 1 or more row (can’t remember), again an increase in every stitch of the row then, the increases are on the first and on the middle stitch of every needle and when I wanted or thought to make them (exactly like that).
I represented the eyes first with safety pins to have an idea of the height, then the first lip also with safety pins. I made 2 rows with contrasting yarn on the the 15-20 middle stitches because I wanted an open mouth. Then for the other lip, I too used safety pins or a needle holder. At this point I counted a bit more to have a good length and circumference (it is for an adult head). Do not forget to note it.
Brim of the hat : begin with two rows in garter stitch. Then make an increase every 12 stitches, one row. Make these increases : they should be one over this other every two rows (second series of increase will be 13 stitches, an increase, etc.). Finish the top of the brim with two rows in garter stitch. Then make the same work making decreases instead of increases. End the « lining » with some rows in rib.
The mouth : remove the contrasting yarn, pick up the stitches and knit some rows in the round.
Sew the border of the mouth in the inside. Make the eyes by sewing sorts of rolls.
Sew the « lining » to the hat with three vertical seams that will make useful pockets.
Stuff the top, stop it by sewing a piece of fabrics or of knitting (I take an old sweater). If you want, sew another piece on the hat with apparent stitches on the hat.
- Le choixpeau sur sa propriétaire
- La libraire de la librairie A livr’Ouvert arborant son choixpeau tout neuf.